High school and middle school students are eligible to participate in Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) athletics and activities.
The Minnesota State High School League is organized for the following educational purposes:
- To provide, promote, manage and administer a program of activities for students of the member schools on subsection, section and state levels in athletics and fine arts.
- To establish uniform and equitable rules for students in extra-curricular activities.
- To elevate standards of sportsmanship and to encourage the growth of responsible citizenship among students, member schools and their communities.
- To protect students, member schools and their communities from exploitation by special interest groups.
- To provide mutual benefit and relief plans for the assistance of students injured in extra-curricular activities in meeting medical and hospital expenses incurred by reason of such injuries.
The MSHSL website provides information about the league itself, each activity and sport, and all tournament information from section brackets to tournament seedings.